Wednesday, August 21, 2019


Two years ago today I woke up with my eyes swelled shut. The inflammation in my face had been so bad, the pressure made my eyes bloodshot. We guessed it was our house making me, and some of my kids, very sick. We were right. We didn't want to be right.
I wake today grateful for the journey. I learned so much during our 3 months of homelessness. I learned that God is in control, and He will supply all my needs, according to His plan, not mine. I learned that bitterness only hurts me. I learned that people are flawed, and forgivable. I learned it is ok if they choose to walk away when you need them most, because God will never, ever, leave you.
I also learned that God's help comes through people. I learned to accept help from strangers. I learned what it's like to live in a shelter apartment, to glean fields, and how generous strangers can be. I learned that joyful moments can be had in the midst of intense physical and emotional pain. I learned that prayer is what really helps the most.
I learned what it's like to live in a house I don't own. I learned what it's like to watch your children lose everything, and emerge strong and wise way beyond their years. I learned what it was like to be stared at and talked about by strangers. I learned doctors don't really know a whole lot about certain diseases, unfortunately, but some try really hard, and despite the framework they must dance through, help a great many people. I learned what it's like to have nearly crippling fatigue lift, burning skin inflammation heal, and memory return. I learned what it's like for my kids to fear me dying and leaving them behind, and what it's like to cry out in prayer asking for more time.
Despite these challenges, I miss our old neighborhood terribly. My children learned things there that I wish I had known at their age. They learned that the color of your skin doesn't determine what an awesome friend you can be. They learned that some kids didn't have what they did, and the adults around them worked to make that matter less. I will never regret the journey, because we are forever changed by the people we met there, the strangers who helped us, and the friends and family who stepped in when they saw a need they could fill.
My prayers of thanks for bringing those people into our lives, the healing, the help, the hope, and even the pain, are lifted high today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages